Monday 19 July 2010

Script writing, pitching and random stuff

Random Stuff:

The title of my blog says: "Alexandre Lieme - Animation works", except that i haven't upload any animation since Valentine's day! It doesn't mean I haven't been working on any though, just nothing worth uploading really.

The 3D assessments for last semesters consisted in: a walk cycle; an action shot(I chose pushing) and a short TV commercial. The only one which could be interesting would be the last one. It's 15sec long, the main character is a Energy Drink Can with arms and legs. A simple story line: The Can is about to get squashed by a giant "F", it gets a energy drink from who knows where and drinks it(cannibal!!!). Then it powers up Super Saiyan style, lifts the "F" and throws it at the other letters sitting in another corner. A caption comes up: "Father; are you man enough?" and the last shot is the Can standing gloriously on the pile of letters. Sounds almost interesting, why not upload it?

Two reasons:
1) I can't be bothered... Uploading videos is always a pain in the butt and youtube isn't the greatest platform for it(need to get a Vimeo account one of these days...).

2)Copyrights. Even if there are quite a lot of differences between the original product and this, it still looks pretty similar. I could get away with it since I'm still a student, but it goes back to reason number 1(a really vicious circle...).

I might upload it somewhere at the end of this year as part of my show-reel or something like that.

So my blog ends up having more graphics than actual animations. It's normal though, since animations takes more time and resources to make than graphics. I could change the title to something more fitting, I don't have anything in mind right now(if you do, you can leave a comment :P).


Script writing:

The other class on the program last semester was a writing class(more or less). We went through animation history a bit, TV commercial, story telling and writting, etc...
The assessments for this unit were: writing a TV commercial for the PS4(don't google it, it doesn't exist... yet), reviewing the commercials from 3 classmates; and the biggest one was writing a script for a 3 to 5 min short animation. It was setup so we would get a lot of time to come up with a story and develop it, then write a full script for it.

Script writing has its own conventions. They are pretty simple yet really detailed i.e: using Courrier 12pt as font, or the spacing on the page and how it's supposed to be presented... They are pretty much guidelines about standard script writing and you don't have to follow them all. It was my 1st time doing it: I'm definitely not a writer. Not that I mind doing it, just that there are things I would rather do. Still an interesting experience.

For me, the hardest part of the script was coming up with a title. I had no title until 3 hours before the actual pitching. So I used "Connaissance" (meaning knowledge in French): simple but yet sounding exotic to English speakers(a bit too much...) representing quite well my own story. I won't lie, that was a desperate attempt to name my story in an acceptable way :P.


Pitching:

The story had to be pitch to 2 of our lecturers and someone from the industry, it was part of the assessment. The best one would be chosen to be realised in the 2nd semester.

Many good, creative and interesting ideas were presented. We had: tales of baby crocodile, ninja monkeys, a hero suffering from Split Personality Disorder, a little girl with a very wild imagination, a victim to the Murphy's law at its fullest, a bit of Looney Tunes humour and some other stories that I can't recall... I would have liked to work on most of them I think.

In the end, it came down my story: a girl fighting a word-eating creature inside a futuristic library. I'm happy with the end result, I wanted to be selected and tried my best to be. It was nice but that also brought lots of responsibilities upon my shoulders.

For starters I had to rewrite the script according to the feedbacks I had from the pitch session. Changing the title to a more accessible one was one of them. My story is basically still untitled since the previous title didn't make the cut. The best I have in mind right now is "The Library", so not quite there yet lol(really far from in fact...).
I'm also in charge of a couple of teams and assisting some others in the making of this movie. At this point, it seems like a huge time-consuming project, but I'm not worried though. We've got around 20 weeks to come up with some kick-ass movie!

I won't give out too much information about the project itself since there'll be a blog(maybe a website?) online really soon. I'll put up a link as soon as it's up and going. Most of the production work will be going there, I'll eventually post it here as well, eventually... I'll be posting, on the other hand, a bit more about the inspiration behind the story, the characters, names, design and the sets(might link it to the other blog updates, we'll see how it goes).

Anyway, that's it for now! Cya soon hopefully.

PS: Need to find fitting titles for my story and my blog now :x...

No comments:

Post a Comment